Equine therapy is the therapeutic practice of purposeful and specifically coordinated interaction with horses. It is often used in alcohol and drug rehab due in large part to its ability to foster independence, establish empathy, achieve deeper emotional connection, and accountability for caring for something other than one’s self. Equine therapy is often found at higher-end luxury alcohol and drug rehab centers, but many other rehab centers have partnerships with certified instructors and organizations to make it more accessible.
The practice is also commonly used to treat teens and adolescents struggling with anxiety and depression. If you or you or your loved one are interested in equine-assisted therapy for alcohol or drug rehab, there may be a facility in your area that offers these services.
How Does Equine Therapy for Addiction Work?
Equine therapy in alcohol and drug rehab works by focusing on some of the many areas of behavior and emotional health that have suffered in the wake of substance use. It helps create trust, responsibility, and self-awareness. It’s said that horses have unique insights into human emotions. They can act as a kind of biofeedback mechanism and help us identify our fears, vulnerabilities, insecurities, and points of confidence. Common types of equine therapy include:
- Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP) - Mental healthcare providers collaborate with credentialed equine professionals to help clients work toward psychotherapy treatment goals.
- Equine-Assisted Learning Therapy (EAL) - Focuses on helping people build important life skills like communication, trust, respect, self-awareness, and honesty.
- Hippotherapy - This practice refers to approaches to occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech therapy using horses.
Equine-assisted therapy is the most common type of equine therapy used in addiction treatment; however, all three can work well in this application.
Find Equine Therapy Alcohol and Drug Rehab in Your Area
Our professionals are standing by to help you or your loved one find an alcohol or drug rehab center that offers equine therapy. We will search our database of treatment centers and find one that works best for your care needs, insurance, and lifestyle. Equine therapy can be offered in both inpatient and outpatient programs. Call us now to learn more and start your treatment
Equine Therapy Rehab Centers
Filter your results for Equine Therapy rehabs
- Select "Equine Therapy" in the category
- Select the location or near me for listings within 50 miles