When people think of addiction, they tend to think of it as something that only affects younger people. In reality, addiction knows no age. In fact, seniors are among the fastest-growing age group experiencing rates of substance use disorder, according to data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Fifteen percent of the nation's population relies on Medicare for health security. As baby boomers turn 65, enrollment has reached 64 million in 2020 and will reach 80 million in 2030. These two overlapping realities mean that Medicare must cover some level of substance use disorder for its patients.
One Kind of Substance Use Services Does Medicare Cover?
While Medicare doesn’t specifically have a category of coverage for substance use treatment, these services are covered when deemed reasonable and necessary.
Some of the Addiction treatment services Medicare covers include, but are not limited to:
- Inpatient treatment would be covered if reasonable and necessary, including behavioral rehab, medically supervised detoxification and withdrawal management, and medication-assisted treatment.
- Outpatient treatment, including behavioral rehab and counseling. Just like inpatient treatment, coverage of outpatient treatment would depend on the provider of the services.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP) treatment, including Individual or group psychotherapy with physicians, psychologists, or other mental health professionals, as well as occupational and activity-based therapies.
The scope of Medicare coverage for substance use depends on a variety of factors, including what type of plan you have, the state you live in, and others.
Start Exploring Medicare Rehabs
You or your loved one can start the process of looking for rehabs that accept Medicare by calling our representatives. We will navigate our extensive database of treatment centers and find the facility that works best for you or the person you care about who is struggling with addiction. Don’t let addiction rob you of your health dignity. Call now.
Medicare Drug Rehab Centers in Sheridan, Wyoming, United States
Filter your results for rehabs that accept Medicare Insurance in Sheridan
- Select "Accept Medicare" in the category
- Select the location or near me for listings within 50 miles