See if Your Insurance Covers Rehab
- Content Reviewed By:
- Andrew McKenna - JD
- Deputy Director of NCADD Westchester
State Mental Health Department Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in Atlanta
When you or someone you care about is entering addiction treatment, you deserve the comfort and peace of mind of knowing you’re entering a program that has the backing and quality-control approval of the state in which it operates. Drug rehab centers that are accredited by state health departments offer a baseline assurance of quality, safety, and efficacy through a variety of pre-established criteria.
For years, accreditation of behavioral health of local behavioral health organizations has been a proposed cornerstone of care administration. Let’s explore the advantages of state accreditation, how a facility becomes accredited, and why this quality assurance matters.
How Does State Mental Health Department Accreditation Work?
In addition to leading governing bodies of accreditation, such as the Council on Accreditation, The Joint Commission, CARF International, and others, most states have their own criteria for approving the establishment and continued operation within their borders. For example, the Missouri Department of Mental Health and the Washington State Department of Health are two SAMHSA-approved state accreditation authorities for Opioid Treatment Providers (OTPs).
Criteria for accreditation from these facilities may vary but will generally include:
- Safety - Your treatment center’s state mental health department will assess the size, cleanliness, and other safety-related factors to determine whether it’s suitable for accreditation and backing.
- Quality and Reliability - The organization will also assess the quality of programming, staff, and other factors to determine eligibility. If the rehab center you’re considering offers a certain type of therapy or treatment, the accreditation organization wants to ensure they can offer this modality seamlessly and at the highest level of care.
- Privacy and Discretion - The accreditation authority will also audit the facility to ensure HIPAA compliance and that they are operating at the highest standards of patient privacy and discretion.
- Effectiveness and Success Rates - The accreditation authority will also assess patient/alumni satisfaction and long-term treatment outcomes (one year or more of post-treatment sobriety) to determine the quality and effectiveness of its treatment approach.
It’s important to realize that each state has its own criteria for accreditation and approval.
What Are the Advantages of State Accreditation?
State mental health department accreditation lets you or your loved one know that you’re entering a facility that has been assessed, audited, and approved by an experienced and reputable authority. The reality of addiction treatment is that, while it’s necessary, it can also be traumatic if you choose a facility that is not equipped to or interested in meeting your clinical and lifestyle needs. Not all treatment centers are created equal.
To better understand the accreditation process in your respective state, contact your state mental health department and learn what, if any, process they have in place to determine accreditation. Here are a few examples of state accreditation resources to help you on your journey and inform your pursuit:
- Delaware Public Health Accreditation Standards
- Accreditation | Vermont Department of Health
- Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance
- Connecticut State Department of Public Health
State accreditation helps you avoid potential bad actors and a negative experience that can lead to relapse and avoidance of future addiction treatment altogether. Get the help you need now.
State Mental Health Department in Atlanta
Filter Your Results for State Mental Health Department Rehabs in Atlanta
- Select "State Mental Health Department" in the Category
- Select the Location or "Near Me" for listings within 100 Miles
Connect with a State Mental Health Department Addiction Treatment Center in Atlanta
Legacy Healing Centers
A premier behavioral health provider. We specialize comprehensive treatment of addiction. Legacy uses an individualized client-centered approach, designed to build hope, create a stable support network and achieve long-term health and healing. We take Private Insurance Only. View ListingCall :754-399-1216