- Content Reviewed By:
- Andrew McKenna - JD
- Deputy Director of NCADD Westchester
- How Does Matrix Model Rehab Work?
- What Are the Benefits of Matrix Model Rehab?
- Is Matrix Model Rehab Right for Me?
The Matrix Model of drug rehab (developed in the 1980s) provides a structured and organized model of treatment that keeps patients accountable and more receptive to treatment. While it’s most common for people who are addicted to stimulants like cocaine or methamphetamine (meth), the Matrix Model is increasingly applied to different types of drug rehab, including heroin and prescription opioid painkillers.
These programs generally last four months and provide comprehensive therapy and education on the disease of addiction and what you can expect from the treatment and recovery processes. The Matrix Model relies heavily on social and logistical support mechanisms that are so vital to long-term success and recovery, prioritizing community, accountability, and core clinical therapies for enduring recovery.
How Does Matrix Model Alcohol and Drug Rehab Work?
The Matrix Model of alcohol and drug rehab was developed to promote a better and more holistic understanding of alcohol and drug use disorder. It takes into account the many different factors that contribute to alcohol and drug abuse and builds a comprehensive, personalized, and holistic route to treatment and recovery.
Some of the resources offered in Matrix Model rehab can include:
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Relapse Prevention Resources
- 12-Step Facilitation and Guidance
- Family Education and Involvement
- Aftercare and Continued Outreach
Each Matrix Model rehab program should be specifically designed to address patients’ unique care and lifestyle needs. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has developed a comprehensive handbook for those entering Matrix Model rehab for stimulant use disorder. It contains contextual guidance, prompts, handouts, and other resources to guide participants in their treatment and recovery. Matrix model treatment has also proven effective in the improvement of methadone maintenance therapy.
What Are the Benefits of Matrix Model Rehab?
Matrix Model rehab looks at the whole patient, not just their addiction. It takes into account their life experiences, their pain points, their trauma, and the full context of their Substance Use Disorder to form a game plan for treatment. It also provides targeted and in-depth treatment for the psychological damage caused by stimulant addiction, such as depression, anxiety, hyper-vigilence, cognitive issues, and more. The goal of this model of treatment is to help you or your loved one develop accountability, understand your cravings and triggers, identify and embrace the different stages of recovery.
Is Matrix Model Rehab Right for Me?
You or your loved one may be ideal candidates for Matrix Model rehab if you:
- Are willing to participate in group therapy for Substance Use Disorder.
- Need extra support and care outside of a traditional outpatient treatment program.
- Have continuing treatment support needs after completing inpatient care.
- Need targeted and in-depth care but it’s financially or logistically impossible to enter inpatient treatment.
- Struggle with stimulant addiction and have not been able to stop using.
- Need help beyond traditional 12-Step recovery.
Get the help you need for stimulant addiction by using our directory to find a qualified, reputable Matrix Model rehab program in your community today.