Group therapy is a common modality in drug rehab that allows participants to share their experiences, exchange support, and build community in treatment and long-term recovery. It often lays the groundwork for lasting and meaningful relationships that can make a significant difference in relapse prevention after people complete their treatment program.
Group therapy is offered alongside other treatment modalities, including one-on-one counseling, detoxification, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), and other supplemental therapies to provide a well-rounded and holistic recovery experience. Sessions can vary in time, scope, and subject matter, and participants continue to benefit long after they leave their treatment program and embark on their long-term recovery.
What Happens in Group Therapy Drug Rehabs?
Group therapy sessions in drug rehab are offered at structured times of a participant’s treatment day. It can be administered in inpatient, outpatient, intensive outpatient, and even virtual treatment models. Sessions generally last anywhere from 15-60 minutes, depending upon membership and program type, and often incorporate a central theme related to recovery. Each facility administers group therapy a little differently, and some may even offer their own spin on the process.
During sessions, participants share their progress and struggles related to their own recovery journey and lend support to one another under the help and guidance of a facilitator. Participants are encouraged to share as much as possible to provide lively and meaningful dialogue within the group.
Benefits of Group Therapy Drug Rehab
While it’s natural to be reluctant to share during the first few group therapy sessions at drug rehab, it’s a vital part of the process.
Once you or your loved one get past the initial barriers, the benefits of group therapy can be long-lasting and include the following:
- A solid and reliable network of support
- A group of people who understand the unique obstacles of drug abuse and addiction
- An objective and non-judgmental place to share your vulnerability and mistakes
- An extra layer of support against relapse triggers
- A chance to connect with and understand people of diverse backgrounds
- An opportunity to explore different post-treatment therapy resources
Group Therapy Drug Rehab Centers
Filter your results for Group Therapy Rehabs
- Select "Group Therapy" in the category
- Select the location or near me for listings within 50 miles